Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cecil part 1 - from a mechanic to a fashionista

This post is a little late because I haven't had time to take pictures off my phone for a few days.  On Monday, my Ace Fender Bender doll arrived in the mail!  He was in much better condition than the Battlescarred doll.  The seller said this one was a collector item kept on a shelf (how many times do they say that?) but I actually think this one was true because the only issue was a little bitty smudge on the back of his neck.  Since the freckles and pink cheeks are going to stay for this one (freckled Cecil is very important) I decided to start with the eyes.  

now, my headcanon Cecil is very colorful - in personality, in fashion, in everything.  So his eyes are actually like a mood ring: they change almost constantly (blue for sadness, green for curiosity, orange for concern etc.) but their standard, typical color is iridescent violet and amber mixed.  here - have some kinda crappy bb!Cecil art I drew and didn't delete simply because I think the eyes flawlessly illustrated this color.
(also because I liked how his hair turned out shh)
so I tried to capture this the best I could with the laces being iridescent indigo and the other part amber.  it's okay I guess?  Next up came another essential part of Cecil's Cecil-ness.  A wacky sense of fashion.  My hc for that is that he has a whole collection of weird clothing that he pulls out for special occasions, but for work he wears nice slacks and button downs and sweaters and the like - but in all these weird colors that don't match at all even remotely.  (see this image for a striking example of his everyday wear:)
In this poorly-matched spirit, I decided to take the boots from Battlescarred (the red sneakers from Ace are unsurprisingly staying exactly as they are and being given to Carlos) and I painted the soles of the boots hot pink with a touch of glow in the dark.  


it took three coats of pink to stick thick enough to be nice.  I also took some metallic silver and mixed it with varying amounts of black to paint up the buckles on the shoes and the tongue.  
my main inspiration in this decision was this lovely pair of wingtips that you cannot convince me do not live in Cecil Palmer's closet.  
now about Cecil's clothes.  I'm unsure what it is I would like to do for them.  I am fairly sure I would like to knit a poncho in some shades of teal and lavender and possibly some orange furry pants.  I would also like to make a nice little flared-sleeve white tunic to go under the poncho.  I also want to make him a nice little lavender shirt though and a really bright sweatervest and some galaxy pants.  I'm going to Jo-Anns tomorrow so there's a good chance I can find some scrap fabrics to this end.  I get the feeling that he's going to be my dress-up doll.  I'll just probably scan what would cecil wear? (one of the best blogs in this fandom) and pick a few outfits here and there if I ever get good at making doll clothes and I'll just change them out frequently.  





No comments:

Post a Comment