Sunday, February 23, 2014

Carlos...perfect of hair

Today I was sad and emotional.  When I am sad and emotional I like to work on simple things with my hands.  Therefore today I took the plunge.

I painted Carlos's hair.

So I had some issues right away when I couldn't find my brown paint.  But then I found a bottle of the same shade in the basement.  Now the bottle was all frozen and reconstituted and a horrible consistency, but when I was patch testing it against some other shades of brown I had in a craft bin, I realized that the shade of brown I couldn't find was really yellow.  And after trying it on the eyes and the cheeks, I think I've decided I would like a more reddish brown for the hair.  Which I fortunately had quite a bit of.

So first I mixed some burgundy I found with a bit of skin tone and did a layer-over on his cheeks.
It probably looks exactly the same as the last job did in the photo, but trust me when I say it is much much better.  (as a side note, at this point my mom started playing a dvd on the universe and photos from the Hubble telescope in the background and things got very science-y very fast around here)

Next up was the hair, which as I previously mentioned I have been warned is very complicated, time-consuming, and frustrating.  "Especially the curls" people said.  So I braced myself and mixed some brown with a bunch of black, and took the plunge.
half-done in half an hour!  by the time the closing ceremonies of the Olympics started, the brown on the front had already almost dried (solving another of my major problems: how to paint this with the same shade of mixed paint and have it dry since he doesn't sit up without being propped?)  Painting it was shockingly easy.  I used small strokes, horizontal so the paint would fill the ribs in his hair, and just went carefully and at an even pace.  I took each curl separately working from the top down, in order to have them dry evenly and at the same thickness.  by the time the closing ceremonies were done, so was his hair!
as you can see it's a little shimmery (which is odd since all the paints I used are matte?) and you can see some of the reddish brown peeking through.  I originally had planned to do a touch up layer anyway, but after really looking at it now that it's dry, I actually really like it with the hint of red beneath.  It's nice and warm, and a little more fun than a single flat color (after all - if Cecil gets prismatic shimmer hair, Carlos deserves something cool too.  besides, what's perfect hair if not a little color-flowy and shiny?)

funny bonus: Carlos + new dark hair + no clothes = Mowgli

not even kidding, I was tempted to paint his little underpants red.



No comments:

Post a Comment