Wednesday, March 12, 2014

furry pants!


I'm not in the best of moods today, especially to be doing Night Vale things, so please forgive me for the fact that this post is going to be really abrupt, straightforward, and to the point.

last Friday I finally got a functional pants pattern created.  I tested it on the furry pants, which is an interesting fabric actually.  I've never used it before, so I was surprised that the little bobbly dots are either punched in such a way or raised to the point that the surrounding flat fabric between has a lot of little holes through it.  So I found some unmarred stretches big enough for my flare pant pattern.  pants are hard enough in full-scale, so trying to come up with a pattern was a shot in the dark.

and hey on the first attempt it worked perfectly!
ignore the poncho the poncho is irrelevant for right now.  I had to hem the pants by hand, and they fit so perfectly and so snugly on his body that they hold themselves up.  he can sit in them without excessive bunching, and the shoes fit under them because the hems are really wide. 

okay now we can talk about the poncho.  
I used this pattern again and knit the whole thing in teal with the last row of knit stitches in orange and the garter hem in purple.  then I literally took a pen and drew on some tentacle-y (they look like flames but shhhhh they're tentacles) shapes on it and then learned to duplicate stitch!  two episodes of Bates Motel and the whole pattern was filled in!  so then I laced through the orange, tied it in the middle to look like a drawstring, and now it can tie on and off around his neck.
so from the back it looks more like a reverse cape
but from the front it looks pretty freaking awesome

then I took the pattern from Cecil's furry pants, cut down the flare a little bit, and made some denim jeans for Carlos.  
we couldn't find denim that looked light enough without looking crappy, but thankfully the denim I have can be turned inside out.  the inside is the perfect shade of light, and there's this stripe at the bottom edge that is the dark color of the outside and it was already frayed to the fixed edge, so I figured why not give him that instead of cuffs?  now as it turned out, his pants were a little more problematic.  the denim didn't want to crease, so when he sat down it bunched a whole lot at the thighs, so I literally took the jeans, flipped them inside out, traced around his little egg-like butt and down the legs and gave him rockstar skinny jeans.  

if you haven't figured out by now, my sewing technique is comparable to the fairies in Sleeping Beauty.

it fixed the crease problem, but also the waistband was a little baggy, so for his, I did have to take a thin ribbon of elastic and stitch it from his waistband over his right shoulder, across his back, and to the left side of his back waistband.  I don't have a better way to explain this.  just think farmer overalls with only one side done-up.  it keeps his pants up and that's what's important.  

today I'm going to remake his little shirt and hopefully get a lab coat done up for him too.  and then I'll be all done and ready to get some pictures of the two next time I get into town.  more on this when it happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment